Monday, October 13, 2014

Kent 3 - Spells CD


This CD really floored me. I’ve just HEARD OF Kent 3, and until now, never actually HEARD THEM. I even heard some rather interesting touring stories about them, but never heard them themselves.... Wow, pretty impressive stuff on this disc. Spells builds up to peak at the tracks "Bellingham High" and "The Changelling" then again at "Ants" and from there you’re kept up ‘til the last track "The Pines." Kent 3’s songs remind me of songs that were written from the body of much larger short story versions of the subject matter. Basically, what I am trying to say is that if Edgar Allen Poe was alive in the ‘HERE. NOW’, he would probably be in a band like The Kent 3 and write songs like "The Pines." Whereas, anyone will always have their favorite stand out tracks on any release that they feel really define the whole release, Spells is one of those releases that each song is one treat after the last. The Kent 3 have folk-country-blues underlying currents to their music at times, hard hitting Kill The Hippies Neotericness type arrangements to their songs at other times, and I can even hear a gothic dark mythological sense to their songs also. Spells is a solid and defining release and I hope to hear more from them in the near future. Until then, I’m going on a sleep walk thru the city of death....