Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Fuse! Survives the Culling


 In the winter of 2007-ish*, in anticipation of the arrival of my first [and only] daughter... I'm not sure why--- was it a natural 'nesting' instinct or some form of sonic-depression or something else-- to make room for the immnent arrival of fatherhood and family life. I needed to organize and minimalize the over-all space available, so I packed EVERY compact-disc away in boxes. I'm not sure of the official count, but it had to be well over 1,000 units. It took maybe six boxes in-all that ended up still getting in the way. The boxes of CDs became nomadic--in a sense-- and were moved from point to point around the house in search of a spot they and my family could both agree that wasn't in the way. This is much harder than you think.

 I kept buying CDs despite the boxing deal, but soon enough the un-boxed CDs were stacking up... Getting in the way... Something had to be done. I was looking for a final solution that didn't involve a trash-can.

In 2013, just after modern civilization was cheated by the whole 'astral alignment' of the great rift (or whatever the kids called it) we, the human race, were, like, totally taken by the 'Myan Apocalypse' and the ending of the Eqyptian calendars-- and all of that associated jazz that both entailed... I wondered then, as I do now (still), if that one guy-- who was so certain that something good was going to happen on December 23rd as the alignment peaked, that he was going to leap from an elevated location in a desert somewhere (I can't remember the specifics, but it was sorta like that Pink Floyd video of the Native American leaping off a cliff and transforming into a fucking eagle) and... Well, he didn't say what would happen... He just counted on NOT dying...  Being sparred death... Sometimes, I wonder about how all-that worked-out for him...

By 2013, before long, those boxes of CDs needed to be delt with as well as the LP's, 7"s and cassettes. In all, approx. 2,400-3,00 units became a hassle... In some ways, I felt smothered by the total accumulated, mostly boxed-up permanent-collection, because of its unorganized state, Thanks to IKEA and Shake It Records, the job took me a bit, but finally my music-culling led to a manageable amount of units and space-saving options... I got over my sonic-depression, and/or nesting, and my unexplainable re-emerging hunger for sound led to a total sonic-revolution of one... I re-discovered, and I'm still re-discovering, bands and releases from my surviving boxes of CDs thats re-listened to, judged and promoted to a spot in my NEW permanent collection or it finds a new home somewhere else... Like the 'Used CD' section at Shake It.

The Fishermans Wife (In The Red Recordings INR-104, 2003) by THE FUSE! is the most recent re-added unit to my all-new, all [un]different permanent collection. It's earned its spot. Within the rather cryptic-as-fuck Spanish liner notes dated with dates from the mid-sixties accompanying a partial Myan calendar, a band member list hiding the bands identities and... (This is where it gets weird) also containing a lone belles-lettres style liner note dated in 2010-- years after the band broke up and this CD was released.

One of my personal quirks about purchasing music, and older quirk that still raises out of the water... Still... Is that if I am in the vicinity of music purchasing, the label that the release is on plays a larger factor to me when it comes down to considering a release for purchase. Past labels I followed (i.e. just a few) include Dischord, Revelation, SST, Hospial Records, Deadbeat, Icognito, Troubleman Unlimited and the label The Fishermans Wife appears on In The Red. I'm pretty sure, although there is about a 46% chance that I'm flat-out wrong, The Fishermans Wife was a CD that I would have probably bought blindly**. The bands name, interesting song titles and lastly, the label it was on, pointed me in a direction that I felt like I should dig it and, in fact I do!

I didn't show the attention that this CD clearly [initially] deserved... Bringing to mind a clever mix of Sonics style RNR mixed with The Drags partially and closer in description to John Wilkes Booze (Apache Dropout), Hot Snakes, Trail of Dead and a synthesizer-less Le Shok, The Fuse! are hitting all the right buttons... Now...

Wrapping things up, it may not look as if I tried to write just a few sentences of his one, but I did. Once again, I failed. Miserably failed. The Fishermans Wife earns its spot in my collection, but will it in yours?

Here is a Interview from the L.A. RECORD of The Fuse! dated 2007.

A You-tube song-video

*approx. date
** a.k.a. '