Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Fleetwood Mac - The First Riot Grrrl Band


Reports are streaming in that Fleetwood Mac singer, Stevie Nicks has successfully cloned herself. Her clone, Stevie Nicks 2, is said to be in contractional talks to form an all-Grrl group called THE BLADIES and begin touring immediately.

Currently, I'm reading a book given to me by trusted ally to the cause, Troy "The Turner" Turner. I am throughly enjoying ET TU, BABE written by Mark Leyner and must say if you like Palahniuks Fight Club and appreciate Bret Easton Ellis' American Psycho, then definitely put this book on your 'to read' list. Wild, vulgar and descriptive, Leyner provides a definition of the difficult with expert word-crafting. I've accused the Turner of ghost writing this book under the name of Mark Leyner, which he denies. I refuse to believe him in his denial but none-the less, get this book... Read this book and enjoy it, babe.

I stumbled upon THE COATHANGERS while stealing time from my employer. 'steeling time' is the first step toward Class War... Anyway, don't mean to veer away from the topic at hand. For that, my apologies. The Coathangers Suck My Shirt (Suicide Squezze Records) is this bands fourth full-length. The inescapable music scene of 'now™' can still reveal gems such as The Coathangers... Comparisons to Sleeter-Kinny and Wild Flag aside, Suck My Shirt brings to mind Kleenex/Lilliput, and to a lesser degree The Rogers Sisters, Buzzcocks, even a touch of The Spits! Jammed front to back with seething bluesy, rather vicious, aserbic bites akin to what was witnesses in the Riot Grrrl movement. Looking back in hindsight at the whole Riot Grrrl 'thing' I was, and still continue to be influenced by the sheer go-and-do-it attitude behind Bratmobile, Bikini Kill, Tribe 8 and many others. The Riot Grrls still yet, will have their day! Anyway, an amply charged gift certificate from Amazon begat this purchase which worked with an Amazon application that enabled me to instantly listen to 'my' music! So with the so-called holidays approaching, be sure you get that app and take full- advantage of what your 'smart device' (phone/tablet) can do!