Friday, March 21, 2014

SLEEVES: Cincinnati Insta-band Phenomenon!


SLEEVES
"Sex Is Stupid"
(*PWYW-DL)

Sleeves beginnings start with John Hoffman. It's all his fault. John was a recording engineer for Mardou's debut EP and that involvement became the the catalyst for a friendship between him and Dylan McCartney.  

At that time, according to Dylan, John had been playing pop-punk (a genre I recently came to accept as influential) and Dylan who was playing his trademark noisier post-punk "shit" (his words--not mine)-- you know...  All that good 'dash' cross-genre shit (my words not his).

Things started shaping up as they usually do and that led to the inclusion of Alex Collins. Dylan described him as "the sickest bass player/pizza maker" (priorities are priorities) and henceforth, you had a bonafide insta-band**. One integral part of the whole band experience remained-- A name. Every band needs a name and identity right? What would this band to be called?

John explains the bands name more in-depthly. "Sleeves, at first, was supposed to be a different band called Swim Team" which John insist is still a band along with Lillian Currens and BJ (White Walls/Crushed Velvet/Gazer.) Sleeves' origin as an official identity comes from Sam Francis, a compatriot of Johns, who suggested it as a good name for a band. 

John states: "I was like fuck yeah that's tight and asked him if I could use it" Sam agreed and so there you had it... Sleeves!

Nailing down a sound that beard-nods generously to the noisier side of what was once called 'college-rock' and whose last known alias was 'alternative-music' before it's mysterious dissappeaence sometime around 1999... Sleeves found its sound. You see, in Cincinnati I've noticed a trend that there's a whole new generation of musicians and bands whose parents music selections played a huge role in development. Genres began to be infused together... Alternative/grunge punk indie rock garage-punk rock and more. Five year old kids whose parents came from The Year Punk Broke era and Green Days' Incorporated commercial development phase have left their mark in ernest. Providing ample genres and sub-genres that allowed a choice. Soon-to-be-rockers began taking a little of one thing, a little of another thing and getting a good or bad result. Usually, it's a good result. Sometimes it's a great result as with Sleeves' Sex Is Stupid.

Infusing (I like that word) multiple styles, Sex Is Stupid deliver a combination of alternative rock heavily steeped in Nirvana fuzz and break-neck 4/4 Ramones style spread-legged punk. Graciously splattered upon with Strokes drive-thru speaker vocal effects and endless-- yet familiar (and welcomed) topics. Topics that you, the desperate Thwart reader (and myself), appear to be in an endless supply thereof...  Isolation, embarrassment, social awkwardness... All the good stuff that makes good bands great bands.

Deeply reflecting o their songs, Sex Is Stupid represents a retalitory strike to enemies big and small... Providing acknowledgements to Veterans of the worst war: the war we all fight in society. Musicians use songs to get even as they should. You know what they say don't you? No matter how things change, they always seem to stay the same... Don't they? No need for an answer, of course they do.

Sleeves are: John Hoffman (johnny lipstick) guitar/vox
Alex Collins (chef freddy) bass, Dylan McCartney (dr.dick)drums/vox

Link(s)
http://sleevesohio.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/sleevesohio

RIYL: Homemade Drugs, Yaws, Lo-Fi City, Dinosaurs and Thunder, Sebadoh, Pavement, Ramones

MFJD: Montreal (lyrics below)

(Above: Cover art from a 22 song cdr/cassette released at shows before our real demo was out.

Montreal
by Sleeves 
Lyrics: John Hoffman and Lillian Curan

I remember our boardwalk view
Waiting on me, I was boring you
You ran the town in your high heeled shoes
I'm always tripping in front of you

Who thought things would change?
They all stay the same
Oh no no no
Who thought things would change?
They all stay the same
Oh no no no

You apologized, I know what for now
It was nothing you did, it was how you felt
I kissed you on the end of the closed off street
And that was when you fell into me

Who thought things would change?
They all stay the same
Oh no no no
Who thought things would change?
They all stay the same
Oh no no no

You don't notice me
You don't notice me
You don't notice me
Unless I'm right in front of you

You don't notice me
You don't notice me
You don't notice me
Unless I'm right in front of you

You don't notice me
You don't notice me
You don't notice me
Unless I'm right in front of you

Notice me
You don't notice me at all

I remember our boardwalk view
And how I never fell into you
You ran those towns in your high heeled shoes
I'm always tripping in front of you

--------------------
* pay what you want download

** insta-bands are those bands that seemingly pop-up overnight without warning... A sort of shock and awe version of a band. It remains unclear concerning the life expectancy of insta-bands due to the newness of the sub-sub genre nor, should it represent a relaxed non-serious mediocre (or worse) effort.